Monday, March 14, 2005

Intelligence

What is Intelligence?



Intelligence in Japanese
found it on google
____________

I’m writing this post in English because it's a continuation of a discussion I had with my first floor neighbor and his friend that was originally in English.

Without mentioning the where and when and how of this discussion was conducted, the most important thing was that our discussion circled around the definition of intelligence. First of all, I have to say that my neighbor doesn't talk a lot, because our main shared interest is music. So most of the talking we do is with music (he plays the Irish Flute, bagpipe, and the guitar) and I got my oriental stuff with me too.

Anyhow, the person who brought the question up was my neighbor’s friend, and he didn’t have an answer. He was talking about how intelligent he thought he was even though he doesn’t have a good GPA. Then my neighbor started talking. He said that intelligence is "the ability to be happy." He then explained briefly that the utmost goal of life is to be happy, and all your actions, thoughts, and behavior are worth nothing if you are not happy. I then asked him about his GPA. He said 4.0 and he is an honor scholar. His SAT was 1580! He was accepted at MIT and Yale, but chose our school for practical reasons. 'Now, that is intelligent,' I thought.

To be honest, I really liked his definition, and wanted to just repeat it as my own view. However, I came up with my own answer. My definition of intelligence was: the ability to balance dreams and reality and make things happen. I remember reading a quote saying that you have to look at the stars and keep your feet on the ground, and things will happen.

The person who originally asked the question, still didn't have an answer.

My question to you all: What is intelligence in your point of view?

5 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger AyyA said...

This subject was my first opening article in blog-o-shere world chk;
http://3asal.blogspot.com/2004/09/positive-thinking.html#comments

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Aladdin said...

I've just been for my fiancee an introduction to Francis Fokoyama's book "The Last Man" translated by the Egyptian great scholar Ahmed Mustageer. This book deals with intelligence and it concluded that intelligence is not a 'set' clustor of functions or features. In short, intelligence can't be defined!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger مبتدئ said...

aladdin

Thank you for passing by..

Im still in the third chapter of Fukuyama's book.. been there for a month now :S

In his book, There is no definition for anything..

history, human progress.. everything is subjective..

but Im hoping I can get to the end of it.. and reach the intelligence part..

Thank u again

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Sarah Katherine said...

What university do you attend? If you really want to learn more about intelligence, read The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life. Well, maybe the scope of this particular book is a little more narrow and objective than the definitions you are looking for. I guess you are looking for a subjective definition?
I disagree with Mr. 4.0, because being happy does not mean you are intelligent, it just means your happy. I think what makes people intelligent is simply the thirst for knowledge, open-mindedness, and optimism. I think intelligent people don't choose drugs over brain cells, they spend more time searching for solutions rather than dwelling on problems, and they know how to budget themselves as well. But of course, by my own definition, I am only half intelligent and only because I don't do drugs. I hate HATE drugs, anyone who stays away from them is smart.

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger Deema said...

to understand the potentials of dreams

and understand relations

and the ability to act, with reason, or without.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home